YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
APRIL 13, 2015 - 7:00 PM
RONALD H. PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
A G E N D A
- General Business
Call to Order - Mr. Miller
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Public Comment
- Discussion and Action on Board Minutes. Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Monthly Meeting of March 16, 2015 and the Planning Committee Meeting of April 6, 2015. [Public Comment; Approval as submitted/corrected]
- Treasurer's Report - Mr. Posenau [Consent Agenda: Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
Approval of Financial Reports as of March 31, 2015 [File for audit]
- Treasurer's Report (All Funds)
- Condensed Board Summary Report - General Fund Revenue
- Condensed III Board Summary Report - General Fund Expenditures Report
- Condensed III Board Summary Report - Capital Projects, Capital Reserve, Food Service
- Fund Accounting Check Summary Report - General Fund, Food Service, Capital Projects
- Student Activity Account Summary
- Budget Transfers
- Board President's Report - Mr. Miller
- Executive Session. The Board met in Executive Session on March 16, 2015 following the Regular Monthly Meeting and on April 6, 2015 prior to and following the Planning Committee Meeting for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
- Recognition of York County Science and Engineering Fair Winners.
- Junior Division Reserve Grand Champion - Lilly Cook, daughter of James and Melissa Cook
- Junior Division Grand Champion - Zoe Prats, daugher of Jaime and Melanie Prats
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Merkle
- Student Enrollment Report
- Transition from Coordinator of Community Education.
- Update on Summer Enrichment
- The Administration recommends Board approval to transfer an English as a Second Language teaching position from a contracted service with the LIU to a position with the York Suburban School District. This action will save approximately $20,000 in the first year and allow the District to hire, develop, supervise and evaluate the teacher. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the confidential Disciplinary Hearing Agreement reached between the family of Student #211320 which resulted from an Act 26 Violation. The Agreement calls for the return of the student to school according to the terms set forth in the Agreement. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- The Administration recommends Board approval of the immediate expulsion of Student #202057 as per the confidential Adjudication following a Disciplinary Hearing on March 24, 2015. The hearing was called as a result of a set of major disciplinary infractions while the student was serving an expulsion placement at River Rock Academy. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- Business Office Report - Ms. Mason
- 2015-16 Proposed Final Budget Resolution. The Administration recommends Board approval of the Resolution Authorizing Proposed Final Budget Display and Advertising.
Budget Comparison Report
PDE-2028 - Preliminary 2015-16 General Fund Budget
[Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- Hildebrandt Learning Centers, LLC for Before and After School Child Care, Half Day Kindergarten Enrichment and Preschool Programs. The Administration recommends the approval of a three year contract with Hildebrandt Learning Centers, LLC for Before and After School Child Care, Half Day Kindergarten Enrichment and Preschool Programs. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- Contracts for the High School Secure Visitor Entrance and Office Renovations. The Administration recommends the Board approve awarding the following contracts for the High School Secure Visitor Entrance Project: General Contractor - Dorgan & Zuck in the amount of $228,800; Mechanical Contractor - Industrial Combustion Specialty, Inc. in the amount of $68,000; and Electrical Contractor to McCarty & Son in the amount of $74,875 for a total bid of $371,675. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- Authorization to Solicit Bids for Valley View Dry Sprinkler System. The Administration recommends approval of the advertising and soliciting of bids for the purpose of renovating the sprinkler system at the Valley View Elementary School to begin June of 2015. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- Authorization to Solicit Bids for High School Masonry and Facade Work. The Administration recommends approval of the advertising and soliciting of bids for the purposes of restoring the facade area of the High School (Main Building Entrance and Drop Off Area) as well as exterior brick wall structural restoration and other masonry work to begin June of 2015. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
- Gay-Straight Alliance Student Activity Account. The Administration recommends approval of establishing the Student Activity Account, Gay-Straight Alliance for the purposes of using the funds to provide awareness and to support community service efforts as well as to fund events. [Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
Food Service Department Report
- Dining Review Report for March
- Sales Report
- Student Board Representative Report - Miss Renjilian
- Committee Reports - Mr. Miller
- Academic Standards & Curriculum Committee - Mrs. Clancy
The committee recommends approval of the following administrative recommendation:
[Motion; Discussion; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
Revision to 2015-16 Calendar - Request for early dismissal for high school students with the addition of the Midterm and Final Exams.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The minutes of March 2 are provided.
- The Activities Report and Communication Report are provided.
- Personnel Committee Report - Ms. Shaffer
Consent Agenda [You have before you the Personnel Report which includes appointments, employment, request for leave of absence, volunteer coach and additional substitute teacher, including the Addendum at the bottom of the agenda. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; Public Comment; Roll Call Vote]
Recommend the appointment of LaDawn Huber as Substitute Receptionist in the Education Center from June 9, 2015 through July 1, 2015, at the hourly rate of $11.59.
Recommend the appointment of Ashley Markey as Interim Music Department Chairperson from August 1, 2015 through January 31, 2016, at the salary of $1,000.
Recommend the appointment of Brittany O’Reilly as Summer Enrichment Coordinator from March 2015 through August 2015 at the stipend of $3,000.
Recommend the employment of Brian Marshall as First Assistant Football Coach at the salary of $5,600 which represents Step 4 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
Recommend the employment of Andrew Loucks as Head Football Coach at the salary of $7,250 which represents Step 4 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule. Mr. Loucks was incorrectly approved at the salary of $7,000 at the March 16, 2015 Board Meeting.
Request for Leave of Absence
Recommend Board approval of the request of Ashley Thrush, Music Teacher, for a disability leave from August 17, 2015 through approximately September 18, 2015, followed by a FMLA leave of absence, followed by an unpaid leave of absence through January 12, 2016. Mrs. Thrush will be returning to employment on January 13, 2016. Mrs. Thrush will also be on leave from her duties as Music Department Chairperson during her leaves of absence.
Volunteer Coach for Fall 2015-2016
Cody Waltimyer Football
Additional Substitute Teacher for 2014-2015
Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
Policy Revisions. The Policy Review Committee recommends approval of the following policies. [Motion, Discussion, Public Comment, Roll Call Vote]
- 609 - Investment of District Funds
- 701 - Facilities Planning
- 800 - Records Management
- 801 - Public Records
- 802 - School Organization
- 803 - School Calendar
- 804 - School Day
- 805 - Emergency Preparedness
- 805.1 - Relations with Law Enforcement Agencies
- 807 - Opening Exercises/Flag Displays
- 808 - Food Services
- Delete 808.1 - Free or Reduced Cost Lunches
- 810 - Transportation
- 810.1 - Drug/Alcohol Testing - Covered Drivers
- 811 - Bonding
- 812 - Property Insurance
- 813 - Other Insurance
- 814 - Copyright Material
- 818 - Contracted Services
- 822 - Automated External Defibrillator (AED)/Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- 828 - Fraud
- 830 - Breach of Computerized Personal Information
- Additional Committee Reports
- Legislative Policy - Mr. Sears
As per the discussion at the April meeting of the Committee of the Whole, the Board will consider a motion to adopt each of three resolutions. [Motion, Discussion, Public Comment, Roll Call Vote]
- Resolution Urging the General Assembly to Establish a New Funding Formula for Basic Education
- Resolution Calling for Reform of Funding for Cyber Charter Schools
- Resolution Urging Legislative Action on School Employee Pension Reform
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Board Report - Mr. Sears
The "...by Dawn's Early Light", highlights of the LIU Board Meeting of April 7, are provided.
- York Adams Academy Report - Mrs. Freireich
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Mason
- York County School of Technology - Mrs. Schroeder
- Recognition of Visitors
- Board Meeting and Committee Schedule
- Public Comment
There will be an Executive Session immediately following the meeting.
TO: Members of the York Suburban School Board
FROM: Michele A. Merkle, Ed.D, Superintendent
DATE: April 13, 2015
SUBJECT: Addendum to the Agenda for the Board Meeting of April 13, 2015
VII. Committee Reports
C. Personnel Committee Report – Mrs. Shaffer
c. Recommend the employment of Wayne Ingerto as Coordinator of Custodians and Grounds starting on or about June 15, 2015, at the salary of $53,000, pending clearances.