YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING
MAY 4, 2015 - 7:00 PM
RONALD H. PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
A G E N D A
- General Business
Call to Order - Mr. Miller
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Board President's Report - Mr. Miller
- Executive Session. The Board met in Executive Session following the regular monthly meeting on April 13, 2015 for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
- Draft Committee Meeting Schedule - July through December 2015
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Merkle
- District Affiliated Report - YS Dollars for Scholars. Stephanie Sullivan will provide a brief report on the work of this organization.
- Recommendation for Revision to Receptionist Position. The Education Center receptionist is retiring June 30. The administration is recommending a transition of this position to an Administrative Assistant for Communication. This new position will include the reception duties as well as coordinating District communication on the website, social media, press releases and general communication.
- Recommendation for Revision to Network Administrator Position. The Network Administrator is retiring on September 30, 2015. The administration will be recommending to the Board a reallocation of the funds for this position on a one-year trial basis to include the following: $20K allotted for contracted services, 1/2 long-term substitute teacher to provide time for current teacher to work as a K-12 technology coach, and provide a stipend for teacher to develop on-line modules for Professional Development. The administration will evaluate the feasibility of this as a long-term solution over the course of the school year.
- Recommendation to add an Aide Position in lieu of Lincoln Intermediate Unit Contract. The administration will be recommending the elimination of one aide position from the LIU contract and the addition of one aide position employed by the District. There will be an approximate cost savings of $7,000 -$12,000 depending upon health benefits of the individual hired.
- Present Proposed District Goals for 2015-16. Attached are the proposed 2015-16 District Goals for Board review and comment. The administration will seek Board approval of the District Goals.
- Healthcare Committee
- Recommendation to end the YSSD Affiliation with Project Lead the Way.
- National Distinguished Principal of Pennsylvania. Dr. Mary Beth Grove was named the 2015 National Distinguished Principal representing Pennsylvania. This honor is bestowed by the National Association of Elementary School Principals.
- Business Office Report - Ms. Mason
- Items being recommended for approval on May 18
- Approval of Depositories for 2015-16
- LIU Bid Awards - Custodial Supplies, General Supplies, Paper Supplies
- Use of Facilities Fee Schedule for 2015
- Insurance Broker of Record
- Final 2015-16 Budget
- Homestead and Farmstead Exclusion for 2015-16
- Bid Award for Valley View Elementary Dry Sprinkler System
- Bid Award for High School Masonry and Facade Work
- AAA Southern Pennsylvania Tax Settlement
- Informational Items
- Valley View PTO - $756 for Grade 1 field trip to Flinchbaugh's Orchard
- Indian Rock PTO - $592 for Grade 5 field trip to Gettysburg National Military Park
- Student Board Representative Report - Jessica Renjilian
- Committee Reports - Mr. Miller
- Academic Standards & Curriculum Committee - Mrs. Clancy
- Revision to Research Requirement for Graduation. Request to eliminate the High School Graduation Project as a graduation requirement.
- Middle School Related Arts. Request to add Financial Literacy, Wellness and Multimedia Design to the Middle School Related Arts Rotation.
- Finance Committee - Mr. Posenau
The minutes of March 25 are provided.
- Policy Review Committee - Ms. Bates.
- The minutes of March 31 are provided.
- Policy Revisions. The Policy Review Committee reviewed the following policies and will recommend Board approval at the meeting on May 18:
- Delete 139 - Volunteer Service Program
- 211 - Student Accident Insurance
- 214 - Class Rank
- Delete 216.2 - Supplemental Discipline Records
- 217 - Graduation Requirements - to take effect after June 1, 2015
- Delete 353 - Employee Assistance Program
- 901 - Public Relations Objectives
- 902 - Publications Program
- 903 - Public Participation in Board Meetings
- 904 - Public Attendance at School Events
- 905 - Citizen Advisory Committees
- 906 - Public Complaints
- 907 - School Visitors
- 908 - Relations with Parents/Guardians
- 909 - Municipal Government Relations
- 910 - Community Engagement
- 911 - News Media Relations
- 912 - Relations with Educational Institutions
- 913 - Nonschool Organizations/Groups/Individuals
- 914 - Relations with Intermediate Unit
- 915 - Booster/Support Organizations
- 917 - Parental/Family Involvement
- 918 - Title I Parental Involvement
- Additional Committee Reports/Announcements
Committee Meeting Schedule - January through June
- Legislative Policy - Mr. Sears
Resolution Calling for Reform of Funding for Cyber Charter Schools
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit - Mr. Sears
- York Adams Academy - Mrs. Freireich
- York County School of Technology - Mrs. Schroeder
- Comments and/or Questions from the Public
There will be an opportunity for public comment at the end of each report.
There will be an Executive Session immediately following the meeting.